Monday, July 13, 2015

Ham is Mighty Fine Bait

     Last week we went hiking up by The Cabin. It was a big adventure! We saw waterfalls, amazing wildflowers, bear sign and all kinds of wild things. We watched the sun make its way across the sky as we walked under the shadows of my mountains. We also found out something about ham.
      ApprenticeMom, Grandpa, Grandma, Smiles, Sparkles, and G-Man, and I got all ready for the hike the night before so we could just get up and go. But midway through the process of packing sandwiches, bug stuff, and breakfast burritos, I switched packs. I was in charge of the tackle…
      So we got up at the unearthly hour of 6:00 A.M (I am 13 so cut me some slack), and we left. We got to the trailhead and headed out on the 11-mile round-trip hike. After about mile half, the young kids got some low blood sugar, so we stopped and ate breakfast burritos. After that, it was a long hike but boy was it worth it.
       We got to the lake by lunchtime and immediately found a spot to plop the fishing lines in. Then I started going through my pack, and guess what I figured out: I had forgotten the lures in my other pack. So we decided that if we used the ham from the remains of our breakfast burritos, we might stand a chance. And it worked! We all caught some dang nice fish that tasted mighty fine.

So what can we learn from this experience?

1. When switching packs, remember to double check that you have everything.

2. G-Man and Sparkles are the toughest little monsters ever! They hiked their tails off and still had plenty of energy left at the end of the day.
3. Ham is mighty fine bait.

-The Apprentice


2 comments: